Tuesday, May 5, 2009

2009 Another Hole in the Head Website Launched

SF Indiefest's Another Hole in the Head festival website launched yesterday or today. The "Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Film Festival" runs June 5 to 18 at the Roxie. By the way, the Roxie's website has been redesigned.

The first thing I notice is that the program seems slimmer. I see that they are not screening at noon and 2:30 (or was it 12:30 and 2:45?) as they have in the past. On Saturdays, they used to have 6 films and 5 films on Sunday. This year, they are screening 3 films every night except Fridays and Saturdays which have 4. They used to have both screens at the Roxie if my memory is correct. This year, they only have one screen.

The festival pass is only $100 and if I counted correctly, there are 19 film programs. As has been the case the past few years, the Primitive Screwheads are performing live (pun intended). What is different is that they are performing at the Great Star Theater in Chinatown. The Great Star is an old movie theater that used to show Chinese movies. I don't think they were subtitled. It's been closed for a decade or so.

I have not been able to look through the schedule very closely. I'll have to juggle the PFA's Oshima retrospective with Another Hole in the Head. However, given that some of the films screen four times, I shouldn't be too difficult. I do notice two Miike films, two Pinku Eiga films and a short film presented by kink.com called The Future of Fucking so I know where the festival's heart (and other anatomical parts) lay.

No comments: