Saturday, September 5, 2009

Top Bill: The Films of William Klein

The Model Couple directed by William KleinThe PFA is kicking off a William Klein retrospective on September 11. Titled Top Bill: The Films of William Klein, the program consists of 11 Klein films, most of them documentaries. The (film-side) cover of the current Art & Film Notes features a striking still photo from Klein's The Model Couple.

As I previously mentioned, I was entertained by Klein's The French at the YBCA in August. At that time, Joel Shepard of the YBCA mentioned that the PFA would show the Klein films in September and October. He specifically mentioned Muhammad Ali, the Greatest as Klein best known film.

I was blissfully ignorant of William Klein. Before seeing The French, I had never heard of Klein. After seeing The French, I was looking forward to the PFA series.

Then it dawned on me that September is Noir Appreciation Month and I would be forced to choose between Klein and noir. The PFA must have been aware of the conundrum because they paired Klein with a Tea & Larceny film five times (out of seven screenings) in September. It looks like I'll be able to see Muhammad Ali, the Greatest and Eldridge Cleaver, Black Panther. I'll probably and regrettably pass on The Little Richard Story on September 24. The Roxie is showing The Sniper that evening and I've long wanted to see that Edward Dmytryk film which was filmed in San Francisco.

No comments: