Monday, June 16, 2014

The Puzzle Within the Castro Theater's June 2014 Calendar

The June calendar at the Castro Theater stumped me.

I quickly arrived at 3 of the 4 actors shown without assistance of the internet.

June 2 - I identified George Raft almost immediately.

June 10 -  After staring at the photo for a bit, I identified Helena Bonham Carter.  I'm a little unsure about this one.

June 30 - Although I waffled a little between Betty White & Gracie Allen, I ultimately settled on Allen.

The actor pictured on June 16 was recognizable.  I was certain I had seen him in several noir films but I could not remember his name.  Perusing this website, I found him.  His name is Charles Lane.  I can't quite place the film which I recall him best.  It may be from multiple appearances on I Love Lucy.  I recall him being in the waiting room on the episode where Lucy gave birth.

George Raft, Helena Bonham Carter, Gracie Allen & Charles Lane - what do they have in common?  I don't know.  The month is half over and I won't have much time to ponder the clues during the remainder of the month.

Castro Theater Calendar - June 2014
§§§

The Castro has already posted several of their July screenings.  It looks to be a good month.  I am targeting the following.

July 10 - The Servant and Accident;  I am assuming these two films are the ones adapted from Harold Pinter's works and directed by Joseph Losey in the 1960s.

July 13 - The Ladykillers and The Lavender Hill Mob; a pair of English films from the 1950s starring Alec Guinness.

July 15, 16 and 22 - Gordon Willis Tribute; the well known cinematographer passed on May 18.  His best known works were The Godfather series, All the President's Men and a number of Woody Allen films.  I am particularly anxious to see Manhattan on July 15.

July 17 - Young and Beautiful and Swimming Pool; two films by French director François Ozon; I've long wanted to see Swimming Pool.

No comments: