Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Puzzle Within the Castro Theater's November 2014 Calendar

This month's Castro calendar was hit and miss.

I immediately recognized Rock Hudson on November 17.  After a little bit of staring, I recognized Richard Burton on November 10.

I was drawing a blank on the two females.  Searching the internet in an attempt to tie Hudson & Burton together, I noticed Hudson was born on November 17 and Burton on the 10th.

Looking for actresses born on November 3 & 4, I quickly found Monica Vitti & Linda Haynes.

Summarizing the images:

November 3 - Monica Vitti

November 4 - Linda Haynes

November 10 - Richard Burton

November 17 - Rock Hudson

I could not find the link between the four actors.  November 11 is Veterans Day (previously Armistice Day) which is the anniversary of the end of WWI.  The Best Years of Our Lives which played on Veterans Day premiered on November 21, 1946 but its hard to find that link.

I give up...

§§§

The private event on November 16 was a SFFS screening of Selma.

The TBA for November 24 has been changed to closed. The Castro will have been closed six days in November once Thanksgiving is complete.

The TBA for November 25 will be Boyhood (directed by Richard Linklater).

Some December screenings are already known.

Midnites for Maniacs is screening a double feature with the theme "LA: Out of the Past" on December 12.  It consists of Who Framed Roger Rabbit & Ed Wood.  I am told that the Maniac was inspired to program this double bill by the same screening of Los Angeles Plays Itself which I was impressed with.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut is screening on December 15 & 16.  I named this blog (dansmovieblog.blogspot.com was taken) after a character in Blade Runner but I don't believe I have seen the film since starting this site.  I think it is time I see Blade Runner for the 18th or however many times I have seen it.

Although not on the Castro Theater website, Eddie Muller is holding his annual Noir City Xmas/kickoff event on Wednesday, December 17 at 7:00 PM.  The films have not been announced for December 17 nor Noir City.

§§§

That reminds me:  several 2015 film festivals have already announced their dates.

Another Hole in the Head will be December 5-14, 2014 at the Viz.  The schedule is up and tickets are available for purchase.

Noir City will be January 16-25, 2015 at the Castro.

Berlin and Beyond will be at the Castro (Jan 29-Feb 1), Goethe-Institut (Feb 1-2) and Landmark California Theater in Berkeley (Feb 3).

The Mostly British Film Festival will be February 12-19, 2015 at the Vogue.  I've seen a flyer with a partial listing of films but I cannot recall any of the films.

Cinequest will be from February 24-March 8, 2015 in San Jose.

CAAMFest will be from March 12-22, 2015.

The only film festival missing firm dates from the 2015-Q1 lineup is Indiefest and they most likely have announced the dates but I cannot find them listed on their website.

Finally, the San Francisco Silent Film Festival has added a fifth day to its 2015 run. Originally scheduled for May 28-31, the festival will now conclude on Monday, June 1.

§§§

Castro Theater Calendar - November 2014

No comments: