Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Can Commercials Be Short Films?

Last year, I remember seeing a Chipotle Mexican Grill commercial before several films I attended.  It's called Back to the Start after the Willie Nelson song which it features as its soundtrack.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have been to Chipotle.  I don't believe this commercial has changed my opinion of Chipotle but I admire the artistry of the ad.



Chipotle has done it again.  This time the commercial is called The Scarecrow and the singer is Fiona Apple.  Using similar animation techniques and reinforcing their brand of "Food With Integrity," Chipotle has produced another memorable and artistically admirable commercial.  I detected references to Metropolis, Slingblade, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (where the song is from) and perhaps Modern Times and especially Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.  I particularly liked when the scarecrow's and penned cow's eyes met.



I've written before about commercials which catch my attention.  I don't think there is much difference between the skills and talent needed to make a short film and commercial.  At their best, commercials are almost self-defeating in that they focus the viewers' attention on the images and not the company being advertised.  I'm curious as to the ad agency behind these commercials.

No comments: