Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Puzzle Within the Castro Theater's January 2014 Calendar

The first thing I noticed about the Castro Theater's January calendar is that they are open all 31 days in the month.  On January 4 and 14, the theater is closed for "Private Events."  If not for those private events, there would be no puzzle in this month's calendar.

Joan Fontaine passed away on December 15.  Fontaine was a graduate of Los Gatos High School and longtime resident of Carmel.  She also had a famous feud with her sister, Olivia de Havilland.  In recapping her career and sibling rivalry, the media quoted Fontaine - "I married first, won the Oscar before Olivia did, and if I die first, she'll undoubtedly be livid because I beat her to it!"

On the calendar:

January 4 - Joan Fontaine.  I immediately recognized her because I had seen many photos of her in the past few weeks.

January 14 - Olivia de Havilland.  I quickly surmised it was de Havilland.  If I had seen either photo a month ago, I'd be scratching my head.  Even as it was, I double checked the photo.

I'm a little surprised Peter O'Toole wasn't pictured on the calendar since he passed away the day before Fontaine.

Other than marking the passing of Fontaine and recognizing the animus between the sisters, I'm not sure what the clues are pointing to.  Perhaps it is today's screenings of Blue Jasmine which features Cate Blanchett and Sally Hawkins as sisters with an uneasy relationship.

The Stanford Theater has programmed a tribute to Fontaine consisting of Rebecca & Suspicion (January 2 to 5) and Letter from an Unknown Woman & The Constant Nymph (January 9 to 12).

§§§

The first quarter film festival dates have been announced.  The first quarter of the year is jammed with my favorite festivals.  In 2013, I saw one third of the films I watched during the first quarter of the year.

I plan on spending significant time at five festivals during 2014-Q1.  The schedule is as follows:

Noir City - January 24 to February 2
IndieFest - February 6 to February 20
Mostly British - February 13 to February 20
Cinequest - March 4 to March 16
CAAMFest - March 13 to March 23

On top of that, Berlin and Beyond returns to January after a few years in the autumn.  It will run from January 15 to January 21.

I'm not sure how I'm going to fit in watching curling at the upcoming Olympics on television.

§§§

Castro Theater Calendar - January 2014

No comments: