Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Return of Ms. 45

Almost 5 years ago (time flies!), I saw Ms. 45.  I didn't document the venue on this blog but I believe it was at the Castro Theater.  Ms. 45 returned to the Bay Area via Drafthouse Films, the film distribution arm of the Alamo Drafthouse.  Speaking of which, what is the status of the Alamo Drafthouse opening at the New Mission Theater?

Ms. 45 screened for 4 consecutive nights at the Roxie in December.  I remember it screened during HoleHead and thought it would have been a natural match for that festival.

Ms. 45 starring Zoë Tamerlis; directed by Abel Ferrara; (1981)

As I wrote in 2009, I was very impressed with this film.  A second viewing did not nothing to dampen my enthusiasm.  I stand by what I wrote previously but I will note that I was more aware of Tamerlis' make-up.  An attractive women, Tamerlis' Thana (aka Ms. 45) begins a physical transformation after being raped twice.  As her body count increases so does the amount of makeup (particularly red lipstick) she applies.  By the end, she looked grotesque.  The sad part is I have seen women wear that amount of lipstick in public before.

The final scene where she randomly shoots men while dressed as a nun is a little more disturbing than I recalled it before.

 Zoë Lund (nee Tamerlis) in Ms. 45 (1981)

No comments: