Monday, July 1, 2013

The Puzzle Within the Castro Theater's July Calendar

A new month, a new Castro Theater calendar. The calendar came out last week but I've been so busy that...same old excuse - too busy to blog.

This was an easy one although I have yet to solve one of these puzzles without help.

July 8 - Redd Foxx was immediately recognizable despite looking younger than the Sanford and Son days when h I first saw him.

July 9 - I did not recognize this woman.  When I showed my co-worker the calendar, he immediately recognized Betty White.  I would guess the photo is from around the time White was on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  I watched that show during its original network broadcast as a child but didn't recognize White.  I'd like to think I would have made the connection but my co-worker was too quick in identifying White for me to make that claim.

July 15 - I immediately recognized Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi as the Blue Brothers.  Obviously there was a film called The Blues Brothers (1980) staring Ackroyd & Belushi but the Blues Brothers released several albums and performed live at many venues including the final show at Winterland.  When performing, Ackroyd & Belushi did not break character and they developed intricate backstories and biographies of the characters.  They also hired top-notch musicians for their band.

Redd, White and Blues can only mean Red, White and Blue in celebration of Independence Day.

I drew a blank on the guy sitting on the wall in the July 4 rectangle.  I'm not sure if the July 4 item is part of the puzzle.

As for the films, July looks like a good month at the Castro.  I'm a big fan of Jaws (July 3).  Robert Shaw gave a great performance.  I've long wanted to see Night of the Hunter (July 11).  Another favorite of mine is The Exorcist (July 12).  Mercedes McCambridge's voice performance is incredible.  The Craft (July 13 with Peaches Christ) is one of my guilty pleasures.  It's the first time I saw Fairuza Balk.  On July 17, they are screening a pair of Jim Jarmusch's anthologies - Mystery Train and Night of Earth.

The San Francisco Silent Film Festival and the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival occupy much of the  rest of the Castro's July calendar.

Castro Theater Calendar - July 2013

No comments: