Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ringing in the New Year with The Hunchback of Grace Cathedral

I read yesterday that Grace Cathedral will screen The Hunchback of Notre Dame on December 31. They will have two screenings at 7 PM and 10 PM. The version of the film they are showing is the 1923 silent film starring Lon Chaney (not the 1939 version with Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Hara).

Tickets are $20 and available at City Box Office on-line or in person at 180 Redwood Street, Suite 100 in San Francisco.

Grace Cathedral is an Episcopal church at the top of Nob Hill and has been prominently featured in many movies. I recall a scene from Bullitt on the steps of the cathedral. There is also a popular labyrinth there that people walk. Many years ago, I remember going there on Xmas Eve and walking it. I have never seen a film there so I don't know where it will screen. The films will screen in "The Nave of the Cathedral." I had to look up what nave meant. The nave is the central approach to the high altar. I don't think I've ever seen a film in a church.

$20 for a movie ticket is a little pricey but I can ride the cable car up Nob Hill to get to Grace. I like to stand on the running board, lean out slightly and feel the wind in my space. I'm like Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic.

No comments: